Hello from new owner of G-ATUI in England

New members: send an e-mail requesting access to:
Neue Benutzer: bitte eine e-mail mit Zugangsanfrage senden an:

208c (at) boelkow-junior.de
Jeff-G-ATUI

Hello from new owner of G-ATUI in England

Post by Jeff-G-ATUI » 24 Aug 2015 12:06

Hi

I've just purchased G-ATUI (formally D-EHEF). I'd be interested in hearing from any of its previous owners in Germany, and would particularly like to see any early photographs.

My previous aircraft have all been tail-wheel types. the last one was a 1947 Luscombe Silvaire, so the Bolkow is going to be a very different aircraft to fly for me. They are a lovely aeroplane, but The rear hinging canopy does worry me, and I would like to install some sort of additional security devices on the front corners of the canopy to prevent a lost canopy (and possibly a damaged tail-plane) in the event of the canopy catch failing to secure. Has anyone designed and installed something like this in the past? If so, I'd like to see what they did - why re-invent the wheel! I also have problems climbing into the cockpit. My right leg has been broken twice in motorcycle accidents, so my knee joint is not very strong. The step on the Bolkow is rather small and does not give me much support as I climb into the machine. Does anyone have any tips on technique or modifications to make access to the aircraft easier?

Kind regards
Jeff smith

G-ATXZ

Re: Hello from new owner of G-ATUI in England

Post by G-ATXZ » 24 Aug 2015 22:05

Hi Jeff

congratulations on your 208, give me a call and i'll discuss the way I was told to enter and exit the cockpit.

Regarding canopy security my aircraft has 2 clips on each side of the fuselage as belt and bracers

rgs

Mark 07886 849 879

Jeff-G-ATUI

Post by Jeff-G-ATUI » 25 Aug 2015 14:15

Hi Mark

thanks for the prompt rely. Was your aircraft the Bolkow that I used to see parked at Tatenhill? How did you find the aircraft sttod up to being parked outside? I'm struggling to find any hangarage locally. I'll give you a ring sometime over the next couple of days to discuss the points mentioned in my original post.

all the best.
Jeff

Jeff-G-ATUI

Post by Jeff-G-ATUI » 25 Aug 2015 18:18

After checking through all the log books, I see that the canopy became detatched in flight, and struck the tail-plane on 04.01.1989. The pilot was very lucky not to lose control and crash. A rear hinging canopy has to be a very poor design.

Jeff-G-ATUI

Post by Jeff-G-ATUI » 30 Aug 2015 13:23

Hello again

Just to continue this thread on the canopy, I cannot seem to get the 'T' shaped locking bar to engage over the striker when I close the canopy. I am planning on securing the canopy to the internal grab handle until I resolve this problem or fit some additional security catches to the front corners. does anyone have any advice on persuading the 'T' locking bar to engage correctly? Sorry about all these canopy questions!

24-5212

Post by 24-5212 » 31 Aug 2015 00:29

Hi Jeff
Currently restoring 208A in Australia, I would love to know the recommended way to board the aeroplane!
Also on the cabin locks, mine has the original over centre lock on either side if the cabin, no centre lock, does anyone have any comments on this arangement? did the problems with the hood opening in flight only happen to the centre lock type only?
Cheers
Dennis

Jeff-G-ATUI

Post by Jeff-G-ATUI » 31 Aug 2015 10:14

Hi Dennis

Thanks for your input. I ddn't know that the original design was for two over centre locks on either side. This is what i hope to fit on my aeroplane in addition to the centre lock (that doesn't seem to lock properly!). The problem is that my aircraft is on a CAA certificate of airworthiness, and rhe reglations in England say that you cannot carry out modifications to your aircraft yourself. There are a few British registered aircraft on the LAA 'permit to fly' system, and the rules are much more sensible under a permit to fly, so you could carry out a modification of this nature. Of course, if I could prove that the original design was for two over centre locks at the front corners of the canopy, this would add weight to my case to the CAA to allow me to refit locks that the designer had included in his original specification.

Regards
Jeff

24-5212

Post by 24-5212 » 01 Sep 2015 02:30

Hi Jeff
Understand your delema, my aircraft is a A model and has a max AUW of 600kgs and as sutch fits into the light sport area which is not a CASA or VH- aeroplane and the certification is much easier.
Not shore why the side latches changed to centre latch, thats why I asked the question weather the problems with the hood opening came from this arrangement?
The NZ regulations call for the instalation of a centre latch to all aircraft
Hope someone can shed some light on this for us!
Regards
Dennis

Jeff-G-ATUI

Post by Jeff-G-ATUI » 01 Sep 2015 06:22

Hi Dennis

Just to make the issue even more complex, I've been studdying videos of the Saab built MFI 17 on the internet, and they seem to have an entirely (and in my opinion, far superior) canopy arrangement. The canopy appears to be opened by handles protruding from the front lower fuselage, just ahead of the engine cowling on either side of the aircraft. The canopy is closed in a similar way, but is locked by pushing in a large lever, which is located at in the centre lower edge of the instrument panel. This lever appears to be flush with the panel when the canopy is secured. The canopy also appears to have a reinforcing rib in the centre along its entire length. To be fair, the videos appear to indicate that the Saab built aircraft are much more substantial aeroplanes in every way. I suppose, given their military applications, they would have to be!

D-EEAH

Post by D-EEAH » 29 Sep 2015 00:50

My aeroplane (D-EEAH - #658) has the central T-handle, but as an added safety measure (not sure if this is standard or not), it has two pins protruding down from the front of the lower canopy rail on each side that penetrate a hole in the cockpit sill. On the stbd side, this guide pin has a transverse hole running fwd/aft, and when the hood is closed I insert a short rod through this hole below the sill, which then means that the hood cannot fly open. Also, I had a new perspex installed on the front canopy last summer (by Flugwerk Steinle at Mosbach) and when I got the aeroplane back I found that the T-latch was significantly harder to close than it had been previously. I think the problem is that once the perspex is removed, the metal frame looses most of its rigidity, so any small dimensional differences in the cutting or drilling of the new perspex result in subtle changes to the shape of the frame when the perspex is installed. I was concerned that I might be putting undue strain on the lock mechanism, so I explored the mechanism and found that I could adjust the engagement of the lock in two ways - the striker plate on the top of the instrument panel has a small amount of movement available on its fixing screws as the holes are slightly oval (this looks to be by design, not just wear). Also, by fitting a thin washer between the latch handle/mechanism and its seating on the canopy frame I was able to adjust the engagement of the lock tongue. After several iterations of trial and error, I am now very satisfied with the closing of the lock, indeed I think it is better than it was before the perspex was changed. My only concern now is the "gas strut" - I presume that was originally intended to carry some of the weight of the canopy as it opens, and/or to provide some damping as the canopy closes? My strut provides neither of these effects, the only thing it does is provide a means of "latching the hood in the fully open position? Is there any source of replacement struts, or anywhere that can service teh struts? I did dismantle and clean it all inside a few years ago when it became VERY stiff and almost impossible to close, but that did not restore the damping of spring-assistance I was hoping to get.

PS - as regards getting in, I have flown several passengers in their late 80s and early 90s, and to get them aboard I use a small fold-away step/stool (about 20cm high) widely available form DIY and other hardware shops etc, plus a small wooden block about 10cm cube but shaped to match the angles of the aircraft step, which I strap to the aircraft step by two Velcro straps. Together these two devices reduce each step for getting aboard by about 10cm, which has always proved sufficient. But of course as I do not myself need to use these accessories I can remove them after my passenger has boarded, and reposition them before he disembarks. But the 10cm block could perhaps be semi-permanently fitted by means of suitable fixing holes and tie-wraps, and teh 20cm folding stool/step could perhaps be retrieved or lowered into place to exit by means of a short rope?