Hello from new owner of G-ATUI in England

New members: send an e-mail requesting access to:
Neue Benutzer: bitte eine e-mail mit Zugangsanfrage senden an:

208c (at) boelkow-junior.de
Jeff-G-ATUI

Re: Hello from new owner of G-ATUI in England

Post by Jeff-G-ATUI » 30 Sep 2015 08:00

Hi D-EEAH

Thanks for your comprehensive reply to my questions. Your solution to getting into the aircraft has to be worth a try, although I have to admit, as I fly the aircraft more often, it appears to be getting easier. There must be a knack!

I still haven't devised any additional security device for the canopy, but your idea seems excellent, and would probably easier to install than the stainless steel over-centre latches I have purchased to install on my aircraft

Now I have begun to fly the aircraft, I feel compelled to say how impressed I am with the handling qualities of the Bolkow. When I told my local flight instructor I had purchased the Bolkow, he gave me all sorts of dire warnings about the unforgiving nature of the aircraft. The only issue I have noticed is that it seems difficult to arrest the descent on to the runway if full flap are used. At the moment I just avoid using full flaps, but this does seem to be wasting the full capabilities of the aircraft. Other than that, I find it far nicer to fly than the cumbersome Cessna's and Pipers most flying schools and aero clubs seem to love so much.

Jeff-G-ATUI

Re: Hello from new owner of G-ATUI in England

Post by Jeff-G-ATUI » 23 Oct 2015 12:05

the latest chapter in my quest to become familiar with my new aeroplane!

I have to say I'm a little disappointed in the climb rate of the 208C Junior. Most of the old tests quote a climb rate of approx 750 feet a minute. My aircraft only manages about 500 feet a minute at best. The engine is new and very healthy, The prop is a cruise prop that has been adjusted (according to the log books) to improve the climb performance. My 80 year old Luscombe climbed better on 65 hp! Has anyone ever fitted a variable pitch propellor to a Junior?